WHAT DOES YOUR FUTURE LOOK LIKE?

WHAT DOES YOUR FUTURE LOOK LIKE?
"The only way to accurately predict the future is to create it." - Dan Burtis

Monday, May 9, 2011

I'm Just A Wannabe Loser

It occurred to me that before anyone would want to read a blog about success, they might want to know that the writer of that blog was successful. So I had to ask myself. Am I successful? As I began to take a look at myself, I changed the question. Am I in control of my life? That to me is true success. The answer? Well, I had to say no!

I looked at several areas of my life and began to pick out the areas where myself picture and reality were not the same. The first and most obvious? The physical me. I AM FAT!!! Fat, out of shape and suffering from a number of self inflicted ailments. How can I take charge of my life if my body is out of control?

I’m 54 years old, at 6’1”, I weigh almost 300 lbs and to jog around the block would be the equivalent of the average guy running a marathon. I have a hiatal hernia, acid reflux, IBS, sleep apnea, a bad back and bad knees. I wear slip on shoes because I can’t reach my feet to tie laces. I work from home and office chairs last about as long as a haircut.

On our recent trip to Maui, while sunbathing on the beach, a Hawaiian State Wildlife Preservation Team thought I was a beached whale and kept trying to roll me back into the water.

My belly is so big it has it’s own zip code.

I’m the reason they invented double doors.

I’m so fat when I go to a restaurant, they don’t bring me a menu, they bring me an estimate.

I’ve been banned from most of the “All You Can Eat” joints in town.

So, maybe it’s time to do something about it.

Instead of telling you how “Success Is Like A Journey” I’ve decided to take you on a journey. My journey to “success”. Instead of telling you what you should do, I’m going to tell you what I am doing and share the results with you. We will actually be taking in several “tours” simultaneously. We’re going to start with:

DAN’S RADICAL BODY MAKEOVER.





Here’s where the first leg of our journey starts.

START

Weight 295 lbs

% Body Fat (approx)55.9%

Fat Weight 164.91lbs

Base weight 130.1 lbs

Chest (relaxed) 49"

Chest (Flexed) 51.5"

Waist (at Navel) 55.5"

Hips (Largest point) 54"

Biceps (relaxed) 16"

Biceps (flexed) 18"

Thighs 29"

As we all know, the healthy way to lose weight and keep it off is to permanently change your diet and exercise regularly. So I set out on that mission. I sucked at it!! When you weigh 300 lbs and are trying to lose 100 of it, 1 to 1 ½ lbs. just didn’t work for me. I get discouraged and cheat. Then there is the inevitable binge day which would set me back 2 to 3 weeks so I’d get discouraged and quit. All told I think I’ve lost 300lbs in spurts of 10 or even 20 and then I’d gain it back plus. So, (as I eventually do) I decided to do something radical. It all started with the book “The 4 hour Body” by Timothy Ferris author of “The 4 Hour Work Week”. At this time I am not endorsing his ideas, I am putting them to the test.

The gist goes something like this. For 6 days I eat something from each category (Meat, vegetables, Legumes) and the 7th day is binge day. Anything I want as much as I want. You can read the book to find out the details. As I progress I will be adding in some exercise (not much) and a few other techniques to aid the process. I will add these other methods one by one so as to see how much each speeds up my weight loss. You can judge for yourselves if it works.

Above is where I am at the start. My goals are lofty. I want to lose 140 lbs of fat and gain 45 lbs of muscle. This would put me at about 200lbs with 12% body fat. It all starts today. Monday 5/9/2011. My goal date is 12/31/2011. HERE WE GO…

Breakfast today –
Omelet (4 organic eggs, 1 ½ cups chopped broccoli, herbal seasonings)
1 cup mashed black beans w/fajita seasonings
Gavalia Coffee (black)
32oz water (room temp)

Lunch
Grilled chicken breast (lrg)
1 cup fresh spinach (slightly Steamed)
1 Cup red beans mashed with ½ avocado
32 oz water

Dinner
2 Ground round patties
1 cup sauerkraut
1 cup Lentils & avocado
32oz water

Evening Snack
Raw veggie plate
Herbal tea (no caffine)


I Wannabe A Big Fat Loser


3 comments:

  1. Gutsy! Don't give up, like you said it's just the beginning of the journey. Will be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old friend, I am excited for you. God has helped me in my goal as well. We are both on this great journey together. I have said it before, that becoming a diabetic, which, even though genetic, was self-inflected, was the healthiest thing for me. I am only 5'5'' and was at 230lbs, my stomach is the biggest part of me. Through continued exercise and painful discipline at what I eat. I have as of this morning weighed 199lbs. My goal is to be 180, or less, preferably 150 for my height. Be of Good Cheer my friend, the rewards are that you will add years to your life and the quality of life will also be sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for all who set a goal...make a plan and follow your plan. Look at youself in the mirror and tell yourself..."No one is going to work as hard for YOUR goals as YOU"
    When we hit a certain point in our lives we actually wake up and realize (to a certain extent) what all those years have done to us mentally & physically.
    We no longer have the luxury of time as we did years prior.
    So what's it gonna be?? Are you Content with who you are? Do you know you can acheive any goal you set for yourself?
    All rhetorical questions people...
    I wish you all the inspiration I can. Best of luck to all who 'go for it'
    Until next time...your old friend...Mark...

    ReplyDelete